As the rest of the world, Egypt is also struggling with coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19). A first coronavirus case was confirmed in Egypt in 14th of February 2020. After this, the number of coronavirus infections in Egypt has been growing steadily.
You can see the statistics from at the end of this article. If possible change desktop mode, when reading the statistics.
This post will be updated as often as possible.
Until the 28th of May 2020, there have been 20 793 confirmed COVID-19 coronavirus cases in Egypt. A death toll by COVID-19 in Egypt is 845 at the moment. 5 359 people have totally recovered from COVID-19.
You find the updated daily information about the coronavirus cases and measures in Egypt from
On the 17th of May 2020, the government of Egypt announced that the partial curfew and other measures against the spread of corona-virus will be imposed until the second week of June.
From the 24th of May until the 29th of May, the curfew will last from 5.00 pm (17.00) until 6.00. am. All the shops, parks, beaches and malls will be completely shut during this time. Also, public transportation between the governorates will be stopped.
After the 29th of May (from 30th of May) the curfew (20.00-06.00) will be imposed at least for another two weeks.
Face masks will be mandatory in public places and transportation starting from 30th of May.
Since the situation changes daily bases, I have collected here news sites from where to follow the coronavirus situation and news in Egypt.
The latest news about Egypt’s situation (COVID-19) in English:
EGYPT INDEPENDENT English version of Al-Masry Al-Youm daily.
AHRAM ONLINE English news from Egypt. The news are updated constantly. Published by Al-Ahram Establishment.
EGYPTIAN STREETS News and stories about Egypt.
The governmental measures taken in Egypt to curb the spread of coronavirus
- A nationwide partial curfew started on the 25th of March. The curfew continues until the mid of June. People should stay inside from 9 pm (21.00) until 6 am (06.00). The penalty for violating the curfew is from a fine (4,000 Egyptian pounds) to imprisonment.
- All non-essential shops must be closed from 5 pm (17.00) until 6 am (06.00). This rule doesn’t cover supermarkets, groceries, bakeries and pharmacies located outside the shopping centres.
- Coffee shops, restaurants and nightclubs have been shut down. The food restaurants are allowed to be open with limited opening hours (take-away).
- All public and private transportation have been suspended between 09.00 pm (21.00) until 06.00 am (06.00). Authorities have added additional trains to help the fleet during the rush hours.
- Some of the governmental services are opened. All the expiring documents will be valid until the end of the closure measures eg. visa in case you can’t renew them.
- The beaches all over Egypt have been shut down the 28th of March 2020. The beaches will remain closed until further notice.
- The schools in Egypt remain closed.
- The airports in Egypt will remain closed.
- All the museums and tourist sites are closed from 23rd of March and are currently under the sterilization and disinfection.
- People arriving in Egypt from abroad are tested for coronavirus.
- The mosques and churches are shut down.
Coronavirus COVID-19 in Hurghada Egypt
After Egypt announced the shut down of the airports, tourists from all over the world have flown back to their home countries.
The hotels in Hurghada have been disinfected and some of them have re-opened. The employees of the hotels were ordered to stay in quarantine for two weeks.
Coronavirus has been spreading mostly in the biggest cities such as Cairo and Alexandria. There are no exact statistics available from the Red Sea area, but if I have understood right the virus in this area has been staying in control.
Confirmed coronavirus cases and the death toll in Egypt
At the moment Egypt has 14 functional quarantine hospitals for coronavirus patients. The total amount of quarantine hospitals in Egypt is 30. The government has announced that all the quarantine hospitals are full and reached their capacity.