As the rest of the world, Egypt is also struggling with coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19). A first coronavirus case was confirmed in Egypt in 14th of February 2020. After this, the numbers of coronavirus infections in Egypt started to grow steadily. Now it looks like Egypt has managed to flatten the curve and the number of cases are decreasing day by day
Automatic translations are available for the languages below. Click the flag to translate the text. Choose English for reading the original article.
The number of coronavirus cases in Egypt has been decreasing since the beginning of the epidemy (article updated 7th of August 2020). The numbers of coronavirus cases in Egypt have started to decrease. Yesterday the 3th of August there were only 157 new cases in Egypt.
Since it looks like Egypt has beaten the coronavirus (at least for now) the government have set up new rules for travellers coming to Egypt (excluding Arab and foreign tourist who arrive at Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Taba, Marsa Alam, and Marsa Matrouh airports with a straight flight.
The tourists arriving the other airports must (excluding Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Taba, Marsa Alam, and Marsa Matrouh) have to present a negative PRC lab test certificate for the coronavirus. The test can’t be taken more than 72 hours before. More information: Egypt State Information on Facebook.
Egypt has also announced that among from the 50 000 tourists arriving Egypt after the re-opening the boarders, anyone hasn’t been tested positive for COVID-19. More information from this article: https://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/376059/Egypt/Politics-/Around–,-tourists-visited-Sharm-ElSheikh,-Hurghad.aspx
- For the past week (update 15th of July), there have been about 900 new COVID-19 cases daily. It looks like the peak has been reached and the cases will continue decreasing.
- For the past month (update 6th of July), the number of new coronavirus cases in Egypt has been around 1200-1600 cases/day. At the moment it looks like the epidemy in Egypt isn’t growing, but the number of cases hasn’t been reducing either.
Egypt has been weakening the restrictions against the spread of coronavirus and the number of new COVID-19 cases in Egypt hasn’t started to grow despite the reducing of the restrictions.
Coronavirus has been spreading mostly in the biggest cities in Egypt such as Cairo and Giza (Cairo 7,111 cases 01/06/2020). More about the numbers from this article dated 01.06.2020. http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/370227/Egypt/Politics-/Cairo-has-most-coronavirus-cases-in-Egypt-Health-m.aspx
The officials also announced on July 14th that there have been no new coronavirus cases in the touristic governorates for the past 11 days. More information: https://www.egyptindependent.com/no-new-coronavirus-cases-in-egypts-tourist-governorates-since-11-days-officials/
You can see the statistics from at the end of this article. If possible change desktop mode, when reading the statistics.
This post will be updated as often as possible.
Until the 14th of July 2020, there have been 83 930confirmed COVID-19 coronavirus cases in Egypt. A death toll by COVID-19 in Egypt is 4 008 at the moment. 25 544 people have totally recovered from COVID-19.
You find the updated daily information about the coronavirus cases and measures in Egypt from
On the 17th of May 2020, the government of Egypt announced that the partial curfew and other measures against the spread of corona-virus will be imposed until the end of June. The curfew ended before at the end of June.
From the 14th of June, the curfew (20.00-04.00) will be imposed at the end of June.
Face masks will be mandatory in all public places and transportation starting from 30th of May.
Since the situation changes daily bases, I have collected here news sites from where to follow the coronavirus situation and news in Egypt.
The latest news about Egypt’s situation (COVID-19) in English:
EGYPT INDEPENDENT English version of Al-Masry Al-Youm daily.
AHRAM ONLINE English news from Egypt. The news are updated constantly. Published by Al-Ahram Establishment.
EGYPTIAN STREETS News and stories about Egypt.
The governmental measures taken in Egypt to curb the spread of coronavirus
- A nationwide partial curfew started on the 25th of March. The curfew continues until the end of June. People should stay inside from 8 pm (20.00) until 4 am (04.00). The penalty for violating the curfew is from a fine (4,000 Egyptian pounds) to imprisonment.
- All non-essential shops must remain closed from 6 pm (18.00) until 6 am (06.00). This rule doesn’t cover supermarkets, groceries, bakeries and pharmacies located outside the shopping centres.
- Coffee shops, restaurants and nightclubs have been shut down. The food restaurants are allowed to be open with limited opening hours (take-away).
- All public and private transportation have been suspended between 08.00 pm (20.00) until 04.00 am (04.00). Authorities have added additional trains to help the fleet during the rush hours.
- Some of the governmental services are opened. All the expiring documents will be valid until the end of the closure measures eg. visa in case you can’t renew them.
- The beaches and parks will remain closed until further notice.
- The schools in Egypt remain closed.
- The airports in Egypt will remain closed. The resumption of flights starting from July.
- All the museums and tourist sites are closed from 23rd of March and are currently under the sterilization and disinfection.
- The mosques and churches are shut down until the end of June.
Coronavirus COVID-19 in Hurghada Egypt
After Egypt announced the shut down of the airports, tourists from all over the world have flown back to their home countries.
The hotels in Hurghada have been disinfected and some of them have re-opened. The employees of the hotels were ordered to stay in quarantine for two weeks.
There are no exact statistics available from the Red Sea area, but if I have understood right the virus in this area has been staying in control.
Confirmed coronavirus cases and the death toll in Egypt
At the moment Egypt has 14 functional quarantine hospitals for coronavirus patients. The total amount of quarantine hospitals in Egypt is 30. The government has announced that all the quarantine hospitals are full and reached their capacity.